Yomi Hemley
Yomi Hemley
Feature Co-Editor

Jillian Leman’s Jazz Journey

Since starting trumpet in fifth grade, Jillian Leman has taken every opportunity to perform. Now, she’s a member of City’s top jazz band, Jazz Ensemble
Lily Rantanen
Jillian Leman ’26 stands outside of City High’s music wing with her trumpet

For as long as she can remember, music has been a part of Jillian Leman’s life. From starting trumpet in fifth grade in Fort Dodge, Iowa, to joining City High’s varsity show choir, Leman ‘26 taken every opportunity to share her music with the world. 

Now, as a sophomore, Leman is a member of Jazz Ensemble, the top jazz band at City. 

“I decided to do jazz because I jump on every opportunity to perform, especially with trumpet,” Leman said. 

When asked to reflect on her best memories from jazz band, she was quick to say that the competitions, and especially last year’s annual trip to Chicago, were her most memorable experiences.

“We did really good last year [at Jazz in the Meadows in Chicago], especially as a second band,” Leman said.

Last year, Leman was one of only two freshmen selected as a member of Jazz Ensemble, but due to her commitments with dance, she couldn’t join. Instead, she chose to be a part of City’s second highest jazz band, Jazz Collective.

“[A normal day in rehearsal] starts out with call and response and some improv stuff to get our creative juices flowing,” Leman said. “And now we kind of just dive straight into music, cleaning it up.”

Like any performer, Leman gets nervous before a performance.

“I just try to remind myself that I can play this music,” Leman said. “I know how it goes. I know what to do. I’m comfortable with it. I just can’t get in my head too much.”