Helena Echa
Helena Echa
Reporter

What Street? 4th Ave!

City High’s show choirs start the season strong with first-place performances at the Sadie Street Showcase
Megan Swartzendruber
Jillian Leman ’26 and Eviann Smith ’24 perform 4th Ave’s closer

In City High’s music wing, the shelves of music folders are adorned with awards from all of the show choir program’s achievements. Now after the first competition of the season, several awards have been added to the group’s continuously growing collection.

In mid-January, both groups within City High Show Choir, 4th Avenue and Charisma, attended the Sadie Street Showcase hosted by Anamosa High School. There, 4th Ave put on their show titled ‘Norden’ and Charisma performed their show ‘Elemental.’

Norden translates to “the north” in Norwegian. 4th Ave’s show follows a group of people who follow the northern lights and leave their homes behind. Eventually, they fall in love with their new home and the people around them. 

At the Showcase Charisma, directed by choir director Mr. Walker, won best treble group and the show choir’s Combo, student-led by Edward Kenyon ‘24, won best band. 

4th Ave, lead by choir director Mr. Hagy, took home awards for best vocals and best choreography, and during daytime awards, they were number one in the 4A category. Finally, to end the night, they earned the title of grand champions in the finals.

“We were very nervous about this being our first competition. We were going against many talented groups and no one was sure we would win. Our directors told us that we should treat this win as a confidence boost for our next competitions, especially because our next competition is even harder and we are facing some crazy groups,” 4th Ave member Yomi Hemley ‘25 said.