Kaitlyn Brown
Kaitlyn Brown
Sports Co-Editor

Girls Soccer Creates New Motto After Bus Accident

Girls+Soccer+Creates+New+Motto+After+Bus+Accident+

Most people would see the bus running out of fuel on the way home from a game as a negative ora for what’s to come. Not the girls soccer team. When on the way back from two victories for the varsity and J.V. teams, the bus ran out of gas on the highway, the new idea for a season motto, “Never running out of fuel” came about.
“I think it’s a good motto because it happened in real life,” Fanta Traore said.
About 40 girls’ soccer players were restricted to the bus for about two hours after winning their games against Union on April 6, 2013.
“It was a nice little bonding experience. I’m glad it happened in a way,” assistant coach Edgar Arceo said.
Arceo said he at first he was frustrated with the situation, but it ended up becoming a positive experience as the team got the chance to know one another better.
The team also took the chance to make a photo shoot of the experience. There were a lot of photographs taken on the bus including the ‘Corbin’ and the ‘Edgar’, imitations of the faces of their teammates and coaches.
”Coach Mandy asked the girls to ‘do the edgar’ and they all made a frowning face. I had no idea I always had a frowning face,” Arceo said.
As the bus pulled into the City High parking lot once again, the girls were thankful. However, they feel it left them with a motto, “Never Running Out of Fuel,” that will describe their journey for success this season.
“It shows that we’re energized for the season and that we are going to start over new with a new coach and that we’re just not going to stop no matter what comes.”