ACT Prep Begins at City High

A ZAPS Learning Company seminar was held in the cafeteria.

Joe Weideman and Rasmus Schlutter, Reporters

Students file into the cafeteria, awaiting instruction from the ZAPS representative about one of the most critical standardized tests in high school. ACT Test Prep has begun.

“Research has shown, both independent and ACT sponsored research, that the more practice tests you take the more proficient you become, not so much in content, but in your test taking skills,” City High counselor Linda Hoel said.

The ZAPS ACT test prep program was held Wednesday and Thursday of last week. It took place in the cafeteria from 6:30 to 9:00.  The instructor, as is standard procedure for the ZAPS programs, went over all four tests in the ACT.

They gave tips on how to take the test, and on common questions asked in each testing area.

“The material is what I really enjoyed,” Jonas Geerdes ‘16 said.

Four booklets of practice tests and a study guide were given out as part of the session’s entry fee.

“The ACT Test prep is one good way to prepare,” Hoel said about the program.

While the ACT test prep provides some important information about the ACT, Hoel believes it is just one of the many ways to prepare.

“I don’t know if you can over prepare. If you’re smart about preparing you’re going to do a variety of things,” Hoel said.

City High seems intent on continuing to offer interested students an opportunity to gain more practice with the ACT.

“We will offer something, it will be this or something similar. We’ve had Zapps for a long time, and I don’t know why we would change, but if things would change in the future we could want to be sure we always have some kind of opportunity for kids.”

Others wonder if offering the program is the best way to go.

“I think City shouldn’t endorse the class, rather they should have the materials for students who ask for them,” Geerdes said.

Regardless, it’s clear that both students and parents welcome the opportunity for extra ACT practice.

“My parents wanted me to do it, and I said I would give it a try,” Geerdes said, “I agreed that I need to prep for the ACT.”