Scholarship List for Graduating Seniors Expand

Veronica Abreu, Reporter

Four scholarships per year have been donated to City High by Steve Hirt in honor of his parents Russell and Helen Hirt.

“We are fortunate at City High that there are a number of individuals and organizations that provide scholarship and financial assistance for our seniors for their post secondary education” Said guidance counselor, Linda Hoel.

These scholarships are equivalent to the cost of in-state, full-time undergraduate tuition at the University of Iowa.

Students that qualify for the scholarships must be graduating seniors and must maintain at least a 2.8 GPA and make meaningful progress toward completion of a program of study or training.

They must also have been born, raised, and be currently living in Johnson County, Iowa, and have a background in  farming, good citizenship and reputation, good academic record, be involved in school/community activities and a need for financial assistance for college education. The selection is based on academics and potential for academic success, involvement in school and community activities, personal character and citizenship and financial need.

The scholarship will be payable to the student’s business account at their educational institution upon verification at the beginning of each school year in August/September of student enrollment and attendance.

In order to apply, students must complete the Russell and Helen Hirt Memorial Scholarship application and submit to Mrs. Hoel in the Guidance office by 3:30 PM on February 22, 2016.

Applications for The Russell and Helen Hirt Memorial Scholarship as well as other scholarships are all available in the guidance office.