Studying Crime

Paris Fuller

Chris Kerkenbush, admission advisor

Paris Fuller, Reporter

Students interested in crime investigation and analysis found their niche space with Chris Kerkenbush.

“I come in each semester and offer to let students learn about [criminal justice]… [City High] thought it was something that the students here would really enjoy.” Kerkenbush said.

Chris Kerkenbush, an admissions adviser for the University of Wisconsin in Platteville came to City High to talk to students about careers in forensic science.

“You need to develop patience cause it will be apart of your job because there are situations where you have to keep your cool,” Kerkenbush said. “You have to put yourself in the clients shoes even if you are not in agreement with what’s going on. You have to show empathy and be able to put yourself in their shoes.”

Chris used advisory to go into detail about not only careers in criminal justice but different job opportunities depending on a major or minor and what that could mean for college. She even went into depth about a career, crime scene investigation, that many don’t realize could be an option. It consists of people going to a crime scene collecting, looking for evidence, and then going back to a lab to test that evidence.

There are seven career paths for criminal justice that can lead a student from things like a research analyst to careers like secret service and other unique jobs.  Chris has worked with other schools like Pleasant Valley and Bettendorf high school and plans on reaching out to other schools in the future.