Bernie Sanders Holds Rally In Iowa City as Part of His End Corporate Greed Campaign

Presidential+candidate+Bernie+Sanders+speaking+in+Iowa+City+on+Friday%2C+October+25%2C+2019.+

Haileigh Steffen

Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders speaking in Iowa City on Friday, October 25, 2019.

Romey Angerer Sueppel, Reporter

On Friday the 25, Senator Bernie Sanders made an appearance at the Pedestrian Mall as part of his campaign to “End Corporate Greed.” The rally centered around the disadvantages of money in politics.

“We are going to transform our government and our economy, so that it works for all not just the wealthy campaign contributors,” Sanders said.

In addition to talking about money in politics Sanders talked about climate change. While he was listing policies he brought up Massimo Biggers ‘21 and the student strikers in Iowa City.

“What isn’t radical is what the young people here are doing; and that is saying to the fossil fuel industry that the future of the planet is more important than short term profit,” said Sanders.

Sanders also talked about the Green New Deal.

“It’s true, it is expensive, 16 trillion bucks over a ten year period. But I want somebody to tell me what the alternative is to save the planet,” Sanders said

Bernie ended his speech promoting unity among working class people and telling people to fight not just for themselves but for others as well.

“One percent is strong but 99 percent together is a whole lot stronger,” Sanders said.