MLK Jr. Day of Learning Gone Virtual

ICCSD Students will Zoom different sessions on the morning of Wednesday January 13th. No school will be held on MLK Jr. Day the January 18th.

2018 MLK Jr. Day at City

Emily Martinez, Culture Editor

For the past two years, City High has held activities such as educational field trips and guest lectures for students to participate in to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day. This school year, however, due to COVID-19 the ICCSD is offering a virtual day of learning on Wednesday, January 13.

“Tomorrow we will hold our annual celebration of the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.,” Gerry Coleman, the dean of students, said. “This year, we will hold our MLK Day of Learning virtually. Students, teachers, and community members have come together to create a variety of learning experiences designed around Dr. King, equity, and social justice.”

On that Wednesday at 8:50 a.m., students will attend homeroom where they will register for their sessions. Each session will be 50-55 minutes with short breaks in between. The first session will begin at 9:15 a.m., the second at 10:15 a.m., and the third session will be at 11:15 a.m.. At 12:10 p.m. students will need to return to their homeroom for a concluding event and the rest of the afternoon will be open to asynchronous learning where students have the option to do afternoon activities on their own.

Before registering Wednesday morning, students will be required to authenticate their Zoom account in order to join sessions to ensure a safe online experience.

B-Day Hybrid and online students will be participating from home and A-Day Hybrid students may participate from home or at school. A-Day Hybrid students who need to attend school can report to the cafeteria Wednesday morning for further instruction.

All students are encouraged to register and attend all three sessions virtually as attendance will be taken. Students may contact their sixth-hour teacher or any other staff member for any further questions regarding the event.

“Please take advantage of this wonderful learning opportunity,”  Coleman said. “There are over 50 sessions to choose from!”

Here are some links for more information:

MLK Day Google Slides

Screencast