City students speak out against Trayvon Martin shooting

Jasper Washington '12 speaks at the Trayvon Martin Hoodie March Monday night. Photo by Eli Shepherd

On Monday, March 26, the one month anniversary of the Sanford, Florida Trayvon Martin shooting, hundreds of Iowans gathered in the ped mall downtown wearing hoodies to protest the lack of legal action taken against the accused George Zimmerman. Among them were many City High students, including five Fas Trac student speakers.

“I heard about (the case) two to three weeks ago from my mother,” Fas Trac speaker Jasper Washington’12 said. “My initial reaction was obviously that was a case of racial profiling, and racial hate. When it sank in, I just realized I’m seventeen too. I have some of the same characteristics and dreams that (Trayvon) had, and to think that I could be killed now, just made me connect to him.”

Fas Trac advisor Henri Harper organized and encouraged City High Fas Trac students to attend and speak at the rally.
“I think that the younger generation can change these problems in our nation,” Harper said. “They’re more open to change. At some point we have to ask the question: What can we do next and how can we change?”