Kate Meis
Kate Meis
News Editor

Boys Wrestling 2023-2024 Season Preview

Amber Seaton
Cale Seaton ’24 holds up hand in victory after winning state

Coming off a historic season featuring three state champions, the City High Boys Wrestling team has a lot to live up to from last year. The team, led by head coach Cory Connell, had eight state qualifiers out of 14 weight classes. Those nine state qualifiers came from weight classes 106, 113, 126, 132, 138, 145, 170, 182, and 220. Only five state qualifiers will be returning for this season. Some of those losses include Ben Kueter and Gabe Arnold, who now both wrestle for the University of Iowa Hawkeyes.

“We had a couple of big losses to the team but outside of that we are still really deep,” Gabe Egeland ‘25 said. 

There are going to be seven returning varsity starters for the upcoming year. The season opens on November 30, against Waterloo West. After that, the varsity team wrestles in the Dan Gable Donnybrook tournament. This season has a lot to live up to for the Little Hawks. One of the key differences will be how different the season will be without four-time State Champ and World Champion Ben Kueter.

“I’m really excited for the season and I believe this team has a lot of potential. I really feel like we could thrive this year,” Chris Davis ‘26 said.