Isabella Young
Isabella Young
Opinion Co-Editor

UNBREAKABLE PROFILE: Breniah Richardson

Breniah Richardson 26 poses for a picture in her cheerleading uniform in front of the old weight room. Photo courtesy of Richardson
Breniah Richardson ’26 poses for a picture in her cheerleading uniform in front of the old weight room. Photo courtesy of Richardson

Breniah Richardson lines up with her teammates in a frenzy, yelling at the top of her lungs to the student section. The student section marches as the clock runs out, halftime approaches, and the Liberty vs City game is tied.

Richardson ‘26 joined City High Cheerleading in March 2023. Cheerleading had always been something Richardson wanted to pursue, and this was the perfect opportunity. She has participated in Fall Cheerleading and now Winter Cheerleading. Richardson has always expressed a passion for the sport, and she wants to continue cheerleading for the rest of her high school career. Richardson could see herself doing competitive cheerleading or even collegiate cheer. 

“I would only do it in college if I had the time because cheer does motivate me to push [myself],” Richardson said.

Richardson has been backing since she first joined cheer but she is quickly progressing into basing. She went into detail about how cheer has become important to her. Cheerleading incorporates stunting, jumping, and tumbling; and this requires a lot of trust. 

“The important thing to me about cheer is trust. You have to trust who you are around and be comfortable messing up and correcting yourself, but trust really is the backbone of cheer,” said Richardson. 

The sport of cheerleading focuses mainly on a team and the combined and used efforts. However, when Richardson was presented with this fact she didn’t agree. Richardson believes that cheerleading makes you learn a lot about yourself and what you can do. 

“You are also able to see how much you can push yourself and how much you are capable of,” said Richardson.