College Coaches Visit City High Weight Room

Top college coaches from ISU, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota State, and more visit during offseason workouts
Bobby Bacon
The City High Fitness and Wellness Center where coaches visited

Throughout January, there have been 9 Division 1 college football coaches who have come to watch City players’ offseason workouts. The list of coaches includes Steve Ferentz, former Little Hawk sports reporter and current Linebacker Coach for University of South Dakota. Coaches from the University of North Dakota, North Dakota State University, Iowa State University, Northern Illinois University, the University of Nebraska, the University of Kansas, and more have visited too.

Part of the reason the players have this opportunity to meet with these coaches is because of the connections that City High Strength Coach Mitch Moore made as a former Recruiting Coordinator at Iowa State Football. They also want to visit the new state of the art weight room here at City, which they have all been thoroughly impressed by.

Another reason for the visits is because of the talented players that these coaches want to recruit. One of those players is 6’6” junior Parker Sutherland ‘25 who is starting to become highly sought after by colleges. 

“Physically, I have good size and move well,” Sutherland said when asked about his best attributes for being a part of a collegiate team, “But also I’m a good teammate who lifts guys up.” 

The visits from D1 coaches will continue through the offseason and will create more and more opportunities for upperclassmen football players.