Molly Savage
Molly Savage
Social Media Co-Editor and Assistant Yearbook Editor

Art Show at Westwind Educational Policy in Eastdale Plaza

Students from City High are showing their art pieces at Westwind Educational Policy in Eastdale Plaza. The art is put into a rotation system and will change every few months.

“We invited the art teachers to bring student’s art work here,” explained Circe Stumbo, President of Westwind Educational Policy. “We put it on display for six months at a time. This is our third art show. We are getting more organized and more regular about it, so we hope to have our next one in May.”

At the open house and reception on Monday, staff at Westwind said that they were excited about the show. They enjoy walking by every day and admiring the beautiful works of art. Sally Danison, the office manager, spent a lot of time organizing and designing the display.

“It’s been great!” Danison said, “The art pieces are just wonderful.”

According to Jill Harper, City High Art Teacher, all first trimester art students had the opportunity to show their art pieces at Westwind. She described the wide variety of art displayed at the show.

“Yes, there are beautiful landscapes, still life drawings of tomatoes from the Braverman farm, glass mosaic and ceramics, and other sculptural pieces. The ceramic teapots are even functional.”

Stumbo tells us their goal is to give the opportunity to every student to expose their artwork to the public. Right now Westwind is working with City High, but they hope in the future to expand the program to West and Tate High Schools.

Stumbo explained their commitment to the program. “In our work on national educational policy a lot of people are worried that art is getting cut because there is such a focus on testing, math and language arts. We know that the arts are critical to a quality education, to make sure all kids stay in school and even expand their learning through the arts. We are pretty committed as an organization to do what we can to promote the arts in school.”

Everyone is welcome to stop by Westwind during office hours to view the artwork from City High.

Student artwork displayed at Westwind Educational Policy