City High Against Burlington: Girls Basketball Season Opener

Bella Pittman

The jamboree will be held tonight at 7:00, and feature the Anamosa, Camanche, Iowa Valley Community, Iowa Valley Community Schools, Tipton, West Liberty, Williamsburg, and Wilton high school varsity teams.

Bella Pittman, Sports Reporter

CITY HIGH (0-0)

BURLINGTON (0-0)

@ Burlington High School

When: 7:30PM

The Rundown: The Little Hawk varsity girls basketball team prepares itself for the 2014-15 season opener at Burlington High School. City High defeated Burlington 105-32 in last year’s opener.

The upcoming season will be coach Bill McTaggarts 17th year as Girls Varsity Basketball coach for the Little Hawks.

“I think this years teams got the mentality to understand that we’ve got to get better each and every week. So far first couple weeks we’ve gotten better so hopefully we will continue that throughout the season,” McTaggart said.

Although City High is favored in the game, McTaggart isn’t convinced it’s a sure thing.

“Well, you always are [nervous]. You never know the first game, what they have and what we are going to be like, but I am pretty confident that if the girls play to their ability we’ll be alright,” he said.

The team no longer has players such as Haley Lorenzen or Kiera Washpun (‘14), they still push forward to be successful and motivated.

Playing as a guard this year, Courtney Joens ‘16 believes that even with not much height on the team, by the running the ball and increasing speed on the court the team can do well.

“This year, instead of using our height we are going to have to run more,” Joens said.

According to McTaggart, the girls have proved themselves in practice, but an uptempo game will give City the edge.

“I am impressed on how hard the girls have been practicing and I am hoping that carries over to our game so we have a lot of promise,” he said.