Run for Relief Revamped

Madeline Deninger, Copy Editor

Seniors Abby Dickson and Riley Lewers sit at a booth at the entrance of the First Avenue Hy Vee, greeting people as they enter, and asking them if they’d like to take a flyer. These runners are working to sign up members of the community for the City High women’s cross country team’s annual charity run, Run for Relief.

“It’s a really great cause,” Dickson said. “This year, all proceeds benefit the Domestic Violence Intervention Program. [DVIP] helps provide shelter and support for women who are victims of domestic violence, and for their families.”

The track team has worked with DVIP in the past, but there were more personal reasons for choosing the organization this year as well. Hailey Verdick ‘16 has been involved in the planning process this year, and explains what the program means to the team.

“The Domestic Violence Intervention Program is just something that affects everybody,” Verdick said. “We’re young women, so statistically, somebody’s bound to be affected on the team. So it’s really good to know that you can’t stop [domestic violence], but you can support people to get out of it.”

Aside from setting up stands at Hy Vee and Lucky’s to promote the run, the team puts in a variety of other efforts to raise money for the run.

“Car washes are definitely a big fundraiser for us; you can make a couple hundred dollars per car wash,” Verdick said. “It’s been really great to have people come out and get their car washed. Some people know [about Run for Relief], and some people don’t but still come out to support us, which is really nice.”

One of the goals of this year’s run is to get more students signed up, according to Lewers.

“We’d really liked to get more students involved in the run, so it would be great if students signed up.” Lewers said.

In order to achieve greater involvement, Verdick says the team will be taking on some expanded approaches from previous years for this year’s Run for Relief. They hope to make more students, especially outside of the cross country teams, aware of the event.

“We’re thinking about making a video for home room or Little Hawk Advisory that we could show. We’re also thinking about making flyers and putting them on people’s’ cars.”

Aside from getting people to donate and participate in the run, the team hopes that putting on the event will simply spread domestic violence awareness. Taking a step in that direction, the team is recruiting a representative from DVIP to talk to City High’s health and PE classes.

“That’s a way that, even if it’s not money, we’re raising awareness,” Verdick said. “That can leave more of a lasting impact.”

The race, which will take place on November 7th in lower City Park, requires a lot of logistical planning, including fundraising, finding sponsors, and making preparations for the race day, including food, drinks, t-shirts, and medals.

“There’s really just a lot to get done for Run for Relief, and you have to do certain things at certain points,” Verdick said.

While Verdick has a lot to do ahead of the event, she hopes her work will pay off for DVIP and for the greater community.

“Definitely come out for the race because it’s a really fun morning and you can win great prizes. The cross country team is super welcoming to anyone who wants to come.” Verdick said.