Student Senate Recap: Senate Approves New Constitution and Begins Prom Theme Debate

The Student Senate meeting on Wednesday, January 31 began with a final roll-call vote on the proposed revisions to the Constitution. It passed by simple majority.

“It’s a great achievement for the school that we finally have a ratified Constitution,” President Teagan Roeder ’18 said.

Treasurer Gabby McCormick ’18 discussed the budget for the remainder of the year.

“Something we want to keep in mind…[is] the sustainability of Student Senate,” McCormick said. “We should be thinking about…benefiting the school while we increase our intakes.”

McCormick also discussed expenditures and intakes for the spring semester.

“There’s not anything significant we’re going to be intaking for next year,” McCormick said. “This should be something we’re thinking about for the underclassmen.”

The Senate mentioned club grants and rationing funding based on need.

“The two clubs that got the most money last year were Mock Trial and Best Buddies,” Junior Class Representative Maya Durham said on club funding. “On average clubs get about $50-100, but those two clubs got a lot more.”

“When we gave $4,000 last year [to clubs], that was double what we’ve ever given away,” Steve Tygrett, faculty adviser, said. “Next year we’ve got to start out with more money.”

In fact, the entire sponsorship of the Senate will be altered for the 2018-19 school year. Tygrett said that the budget and sponsor of the junior class will be combined with the Student Senate funds.

“We’re going to change the structure of Student Senate as far as the sponsors go,” Tygrett said. “We are going to expand to four sponsors of Student Senate.”

The Senate began to propose prom themes and look for more ideas, but it resolved that the issue would need to be decided the next week, as there was not sufficient time to deliberate and settle on a theme at that meeting.

Secretary Bihotza James-Lejarcegui ’18 set the date for a co-ed self-defense class for February 24th from 12-4 p.m. The class will be capped at thirty people, and tickets will be $5 per person.

Eric Thomas ’18 set the date for the Open Mic Night for February 16th just after school in the Little Theater.

The Senate meets every Wednesday morning in room 3311 at 8:15 am. To learn more, contact Steve Tygrett, the primary faculty advisor, or attend meetings, which are open to all students.