City High Jazz Bands Open Up Friday Night Pedestrian Mall Performances

A performance at the Pedestrian Mall marks the conclusion of the jazz year for the City High Jazz Collective and Ensemble.

Marcus+Miller+plays+his+trombone+solo+for+Jazz+Ensemble+performance.+

Layla Lovan

Marcus Miller plays his trombone solo for Jazz Ensemble performance.

Layla Lovan, Reporter

City High Jazz Collective and Ensemble’s final performance of the year was on May 19 at the Pedestrian Mall in downtown Iowa City. Families and eager viewers rapidly crowded the area to have a good look at the performers.

Saxophonist Brady Gluba ‘25, a member of Jazz Collective, expressed his thoughts after the night.

“There were a lot more people than I was expecting,” Gluba said. “I was happy to see so many people, but that also made me nervous.”

The show started at 6:30 in the evening with performances by Liberty High School, City High, and West High. City High Jazz Ensemble closed off City’s performance. 

Natalie Michelson ‘25, an audience member who had expected to have little interest in the show, was pleasantly surprised.

“I enjoyed witnessing everyone in one place, taking in the gorgeous music and the young musicians’ talent,” Michelson said.

The 14 seniors in this year’s Jazz Ensemble made for an extremely emotional night as they gave their final high school jazz show.

Ashley Kelly ‘23 stated that they will miss being a part of the City High Jazz Band in the coming years. 

“It was a great run this year,” Kelly said. “I don’t know if I’ll ever get to play in bands like these anymore.”