City High Girls Fall To Southeast Polk

Southeast Polk girls defeated Little Hawks (56-59) ending their season (19-4) at City High on Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016 in 5A Regional finals.

Jonathan House, Sports Editor

• Southeast Polk's Allee Ira '16 shoots in the paint on Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016.

• Sydney Schroder '17 cuts past a Southeast Polk defender at the edge of the arc.

• Ashley Joens '18 tucks the ball down after snatching a rebound.

• Southeast Polk's Allee Ira '16 pushes through City High defence.

• Kenya Earl '17 dribbles towards the hoop in the paint on Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016 against Southeast Polk in Regional final play.

• Ashley Joens '18 fights to keep possession while being covered by three Southeast Polk defenders at City High.

• Southeast Polk girls celebrate after their win over City High advancing them to the state tournament.

• Courtney Joens '16 tries to find a shot while fending off heavy coverage by Southeast Polk on Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016.

• Sydney Schroder '17 looks to a teammate to pass to in the first half against Southeast Polk.

The Little Hawks’ journey to the state tournament came up short on Tuesday night, as the Little Hawks fell to Southeast Polk, 56-59. The Little Hawks were led by Ashley Joens ’18 with 18 points and Courtney Joens ’16 with 15, and Kenya Earl ’17, who scored 15 points, including 13 in the second half.

According to Courtney Joens, the Little Hawks were plagued by turnovers, not getting back on defense, and Southeast Polk making its free throws.

“It’s kind of sad, just my goal of going to state, we went my sophomore year, but I’ll never win state,” Joens said.

The Little Hawks season ends with them finishing at 19-4, while Southeast Polk (18-5) moves on to play Johnston in the state tournament.