Boys Basketball Holds Red & White Scrimmage

The City High Boys Basketball program held a scrimmage at City High on Saturday, November 19th in preparation for the upcoming season.

Jonathan House

Chuck Johnson ’17 looks down court to pass during the Red & White Scrimmage

Jonathan House, Sports Editor

The gym filled up with parents and coaches excited for another basketball season at City High on Saturday as the Little Hawks hosted the Red & White Scrimmage on Saturday featuring scrimmages of the boys freshman, sophomore, and varsity basketball teams, as well as a three point shooting contest, a slam dunk contest. The scrimmage also served as an introduction of first year head coach, Derek Roberts.

“There’s just a great group of athletes out here, a great group of athletes, great group of students,” Roberts said about being a new head coach. “Being a teacher at the school is always a million times better when you’re a head coach. I just love the atmosphere at the school and the sports program, the prestige, and everything that it has here. It’s been an excellent transition.”

This season, the Little Hawks return Naeem Smith ’17, Gabe Nkumu, ’17, and Chuck Johnson ’17 from a team that won a conference championship last year. This year’s team will also feature three sophomore newcomers and freshman phenom Keyshawn Christian.

Roberts says that he hasn’t set the lineups for the first game but is excited for the season.

The first game is Tuesday, November 29th at Davenport North, and the first home game is Thursday, December 1st against Muscatine.