Filed under Basketball, SPORTS

#2 City vs. #3 West Varsity Basketball Showdown Could Preview the State Championship

Two highly ranked basketball powerhouses square off in a highly anticipated game that could very well decide the #1 seed in the State Tournament rankings, coming out January 30th.

Rose+Nkumu+%2720+searches+for+a+teammate+to+pass+to+against+West+High+on+December+13th+at+West.+
Rose Nkumu '20 searches for a teammate to pass to against West High on December 13th at West.

Madeline Deninger

Madeline Deninger

The biggest game so far of the City High girls basketball team’s season is coming up.

On Tuesday, January 24th, the Little Hawks will be facing their cross town rival, West High. With City narrowly coming out on top 74-73 last game (OT) and both teams having very successful seasons, this game could very well be a preview of the state championship game.

“I think our gym [City High’s] is a really great atmosphere,” Bacon said. “The sixth man aspect our students provide is really incredible, just having people right down by the court cheering really provides a big boost for our team.””

— John Bacon

“Possibly, yes, both teams are having a good season, so it’s not outside the realm of possibility,” Coach Bill McTaggart said of the possibility of seeing West High again in the state championship game.

The Little Hawks and Trojans both have players who are having standout seasons. The Little Hawks have the No. 16 ranked prospect for 2018 in Ashley Joens ’18 who is shooting 48% from the field and averaging 21.7 points per game, and the Trojans boast Logan Cook ’18 who is shooting 49% from the field and averaging 17.2 points per game.

“The one that hurt us most time was [Logan] Cook and [Maddie] Huinker, so we’ll be trying to key in on those players,” McTaggart said. “[But] West High has a deep bench, nine deep, so we have to be aware of everyone on defense, not just a few players.”

Kenya Earl ‘17 restated how important this game is for her and the team.

“This game is pretty important to me, just because it’s my last City-West game as a player, and the atmosphere is always really special.” Earl said. “We’ve been putting in extra practices this week, focusing more, just trying to be as ready as we can for the game.”

Principal John Bacon said that one of the most important things about this game was having the home crowd show up and be as supportive and loud as they could for the home game.

“I think our gym [City High’s] is a really great atmosphere,” Bacon said. “The sixth man aspect our students provide is really incredible, just having people right down by the court cheering really provides a big boost for our team.”

The game is on Tuesday, January 24th at around 7:30 P.M. at City High following the boys game.